Wednesday, July 18, 2012

90/10 PRINCIPLE (A Tribute to my Mentor)

In our personal journey, we came across different people. However, among the countless people we met, very few created an impact in our life. Students have a lot to say about their high school days- classmates, teachers, friends, etc. However, I notice that in line of my profession, teachers are common denominators for those who shared about individuals who have great impacts in their life. Today, I’m going to give a tribute to one of my mentors. However, this mentor is different. First, I didn’t have the chance to see him personally. We did not even talk by phone or shared notes through email. None at all. He is a writer. One of his books, 7 habits for Highly Effective People, has sold more than 20 millions of copies. I consider him as my mentor because I learn a lot from his books. When I took the comprehensive written examination for my PhD degree, I think I mentioned him several times. As a teacher, especially in the graduate school, I always require my students to read 7 Habits for Highly Effective People. That is one requirement which includes an analysis. For the final examination, I again ask questions related to the 7 habits. In the comprehensive examination for the graduate students, one of the questions is also about the book.
My mentor is Stephen Covey. He passed away recently at the age of 79. This tribute would not be about his life. I would rather expound one of his lessons- the 90/10 principle. He said that 90% of what happened to us is influenced by our reaction. Only 10% of things that happen is out of your control zone. In other words 10% is made up of what happens to you while 90% of is decided by your reaction. What makes up this 10%? Well, 10% of our life is made up of things we don’t have control of. For instance, you don’t have control about what other people will say about you. You have no power over the change in climate. Naturally, you don’t have control about the likes and dislikes of your family and friends. How you react to what people say about you, to the bad weather, the likes and dislikes about your family and friends is within your control. Take this case as an example. Remember Rolito Go? He was a wealthy Filipino businessman. In 1991 he was caught up in traffic in Greenhils, San Juan. The traffic is 10% of what happened to him. He has no control over it. However, the story did not end there. He had a confrontation with another driver. To make the story short, Go shot Eldon Maguan, an engineering student of De La Sall University. Until now, Go is still in jail. See? 90% of that day happened because of Go’s reaction to traffic altercation. How he responded to his emotion was what defined his destiny- jail. A lot of people have many regrets in life. Thus, we hear often the words, “if only.” If only I have reacted differently, I would not be suffering until today. How many relationships are broken because of a simple issue? How many lives were lost because of overreaction? How many beautiful plans fail, not even able to take off in the first place? How many lost opportunities? At one time I attended a meeting where I experienced boredom. You know why? Well, there are two people among those present who could not agree on something. The meeting dragged for too long because of these two people. The issue was so simple but the reaction of these two combatants made the meeting awful….and unproductive. Friends, we have no control over 10% of our life but we have control of the other 90%. Let’s have a review of what happened to us this past week.
Did your temper flare up? Did you scold someone? Did you curse? Did you hurt someone? Did you punch a wall, desk or table? Were you jealous on someone or something? Were you discouraged? Were you engaged in a heated debate? That is why reflection is a vital component in the person’s life. Decisions should not be made in the first place if there is no reflection at all. God gives us the intellect to think before we decide. Friends, we only have 10% of the things we don’t have control of. Are you willing to make the best of the other 90%? Learn from my mentor. Apply the simple lesson of the 90/10 principle. Thank you, Stephen Covey, for reminding us to be very careful with our REACTION. May the Lord bless you more. Randy

3 comments:

  1. I didn't realize this sir, until now. Thank you very much for sharing this with us. Through you, your class on Human Behavior in Organization was able to appreciate and apply the works and ideas of Stephen Covey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m happy to know you are applying what we learned from our mentor through our class. The other day a former student visited my office and proclaimed the good news that her branch was adjudged as one of the top branches of her company throughout the country. She said one of the factors was the application of what she learned in our class, particularly the simple research requirement I asked which she applied in her branch. Wow! I’m very proud of her. In fact, she had just been promoted to handle a bigger branch. Good luck to all my students and former students. To God be the glory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete